Thursday, April 19, 2012

Friendship...as sweet as any fragrance from the garden.

 If you have been blogging for very long, more than likely you have placed  Aiken House and Gardens as one of your favorite garden blogs to visit.   With her welcoming photographs, since 2008, Carolyn Aiken has been setting a perfect cup of tea for her readers,  inviting us into her beautiful home and gardens.  Each visit to her blog, is met with fresh flowers so beautiful you can almost smell them.    Her gardens have graced several magazines with 10 enchanting acres that have had the tender care of this very lovely, humble and talented lady.   With her own two hands and most certainly the help of her loving husband they have created what was first breathed into Eden itself.   
 I recently had the privilege of meeting Carolyn for an afternoon visit at the Barn in Lake Alfred and then off to Lavender and Lace for wonderful lunch and tea.    Lucky for me, her family chose Florida to be their vacation destination this year with the need to see green after the long winter on her Prince Edward Island, where springtime comes a bit slow. From what she told me, PEI did not want her to leave, almost capturing the taxi cab driver in the snow laden drive the morning they were ready to leave for the airport.

 I use to get nervous when I would go meet fellow bloggers for  the first time.  I now find that this rarely happens.  After spending time reading of their lives and hobbies, their pictures usually reveal their spirit and with that there is just something so natural and easy about the visit.   It's like spending time with a dear old friend.  No matter how much distance may separate you, the meeting is like picking up  where you left off.   
With Carolyn it was so and I felt as though I was certainly meeting with a dear old friend.

After walking the property of the Shabby Old House and finding her blog, I am sure that my first comment to her back in 2008   must have read, "  The Shabby Old House needs your touch Carolyn!" Most certainly I have dreamed of having gardens around my home like hers.  So for years I have studied her home and gardens and dreamed of the day when the inside of our house would be complete and the landscape outside would start.  Each dreaming experience on Carolyn's blog would also add to my pleasure the experience of getting to know the loving caretaker of Aiken Gardens.  
 As we spoke of her garden's her face lit up with her anxious anticipation of returning to a glorious display of spring daffodils around her property on PEI, it made me realize what a connection gardeners and plant lovers all have.  Whether it be glorious acres of splendor, a very small garden patch,  or even fresh cut flowers in a vase, the beauty stirs us with the ability to stir others as well.   Nature moves us deep within to smiles on discovery of plants bursting forth with buds and blossoms.    It's as though they remind us to bloom where we are planted and leave a sweet fragrance behind and encourage others along the way.  Each of us have a seed inside with the ability to bring forth beauty.  It's God's gift to us all.  
Our purpose is to plant and  share as much beauty in this lifetime as we can and for those of us who blog we know that the encouraging comments of others is the precious water poured over our seed. Encouragement is as necessary as the seed!
So to you my sweet friend Carolyn.  I just want you to know....
You have certainly shared beauty and been the kind words of encouragement to me and so many others.  Meeting you was such a pleasure and  I think of a quote I saw written on a garden stake that read,
 "If friends were flowers,   I'd pick you."
Consider yourself picked my friend!
God Bless you and your family as you return to your beautiful Aiken House and Gardens.
If you want to read more about Carolyn's garden's, her story is currently in this month's issue of Romantic Homes. 

22 comments:

maria cecilia said...

wow!!, how lucky you both to meet each other!!!
hugs from Chile

June said...

Two of my favorite people in all the world in one precious photo!!! I am so excited that you two got to meet. I would LOVE to meet you two in PEI someday!!!! I can only imagine how lovely Carolyn and you are in person. I loved reading every word of this beautiful post Becky. I got goosebumps over your beautiful writing! I am SO grateful to call you both loved friends.
sending love from here...

Anonymous said...

Beautiful story and pictures.

Linda said...

Dear Becky,
Carolyn wrote to me and told me of your visit with her and so I popped on over to your blog as soon as I woke this morning. Your words brought tears to my eyes - your writing is so beautiful and heartfelt and I felt as though I were there with you both! My husband and I visited PEI last summer - for the sole purpose of meeting Carolyn and Andrew. I had been through a tough time in terms of my health and believe gardens can be very healing. Meeting Carolyn and her husband was like a tonic for me that brought me back to life! You are so right about the power of connection between gardeners! I am so glad I found your blog today. Romantic Homes should sign you up to write for them! What a truly lovely gift you have...
Hugs,
Linda at Beautiful Ideas

Carolyn said...

Hi Becky,
It was such a pleasure to meet you in person after years of connecting through our blogs.
The lovely lunch and visit that we shared will always be one of my treasured memories!
You surely do have a talent with words as my friend Linda said - I am very touched by your sweet words.

Have a wonderful weekend!

Carolyn

Kathy said...

You've expressed perfectly how I have felt for quite a while - there's a beautiful generosity and true loveliness emanating from Carolyn's blog - and from you! What a delight to read of your visit -such a blessing,
Hugs,
Kathy

Carol said...

I have visited Carolyn's blog for years and enjoyed it so much. This is such a sweet post. I am so glad you two got to meet and spend time together. Blessing to you both. Carol

Donna@Conghaile Cottage said...

Hi Becky, What a beautiful post to the special friendships we make here in the Land of Blog! We all seem so connected that "If by chance we meet", it's as if we've known each other a lifetime!
OH YES, Carolyn is as sweet as pie and I love her blog! I came HERE because she has sent me!
I am hoping you will take moment, to PEEK into my world too...AND MAYBE if you like, decide to follow along...
You have a gorgeous blog,
Have a wonderful weekend,
Donna

Bernideen said...

What a darling "friends photo" and so glad you had fun together! Wonderful post!

ARTESANATO EM GERAL said...

Seu blog é muito doce e suas palavras perfeitas em descrever o blog de Carolyn. Realmente ela nos passa muita tranquilidade e doçura nas suas fotos. A gente se sente desfrutando de seu chá de verdade. Que belo encontro.

Felicidades e uma boa semana.

Lauriane

My Cozy Corner said...

Hi Becky,
I too love Carolyn's spirit. I have been inspired to embrace my life and after retiring I have the honor to live out my dream in my garden. I have added your blog to my sidebar so I can check out what you are doing each morning. The wonderful world of Blog... Thanks again for another look inside a beautiful friend.
xo
Betty @ My Cozy Corner

Denise said...

Lovely and thoughtfully put.Your new follower, Denise from Coffeeberry Cottage.It was a pleasure reading both your's and your friend's post.What fun you had. Denise

Victorian1885 said...

What a lovely post ... I love visiting both of your Blogs and look forward to seeing the beauty of your gardens in the coming months. Have a great weekend!

kay Moser said...

What a joy to read your description of your meeting with Carolyn! You have quite a way with words. Looking forward to visiting your blog again.

Kay Moser, novelist

www.kaymoser.com

Judy at GoldCountryCottage said...

Hi Becky. I am your newest follower. I've only been blogging since February, but found Carolyn Aiken right away. Seems like such a beautiful lady and her home and gardens are simply gorgeous. I saw her post where she mentioned you and the nice visit she had with you and I had to see what you were about. I'm looking forward to reading more of your previous blogs and I would love to have you stop by the Cottage when you can..Happy Sunday..Judy

Sanna - My Blueberry House said...

Hi Becky,

You have a lovely house and home. I have only peeked through some of your posts so far, but I did see pictures of the raised beds in your garden. I love that idea and I loved the movie! Amazing how blogging connects people all over the world! Carolyn will always have a special place in my heart as she was my first follower :) and although her blog has grown and more people find their way to her, she continues to pop in and say hello!

-Sanna-

Andi's English Attic said...

I've been following Carolyn for a couple of years now and the pergola in her garden encouraged me to build my own (with the help of pal Eddie). I love all her pics and after reading any post of hers I have the urge to go clean and tidy my own house!

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

I just came over to visit from Carolyn's blog, Becky! It sounds like you had al ovely visit; I love the pictures of the two of you. Nice top, by the way! : )

Elzie said...

How nice to be able to meet a dear friend that you've found through bloglandia! It's a wish that came true for both of you. Wish I could do the same, lol.
Hope you have a lovely day.
Love Elzie

I'm glad Carolyn mentioned your blog cause now I've found yet another lovely place to "visit".

Shabby soul said...

Hello darling! Thank you for the feed back!
In italian beautiful is "meraviglioso" or "splendido".
Have a splendida week! =)
Silvia

Beverly said...

Becky, every word of your lovely tribute to Carolyn is perfection. She is one we have all grown to admire and love. I am so glad the two of you shared a wonderful visit.

And, I was so glad to find you. Somehow I had lost your blog, and I've missed you at Pink Saturdays.

I hope all is well in your part of the world. I am anxious to catch up with you.♥

PAT said...

Beautiful post, Becky. Wonderful the two of you met!